Thursday, June 18, 2009

I'm crying for my shattered illusion...

I've been watching old(ish) Disney cartoons and I've noticed something. "Winnie the Pooh" is not a simple, innocent child's story-come-movie. Oh no. We have been fooled to think such things, manipulated in fact! I suppose this refers back to this post about old fairy tales, but this is different. In that situation the stories were sick and twisted, but the Disney versions made for young children, were modified. "Winnie the Pooh" on the other hand, is just plain depressing. Think about it: a stupid bear, chronically fearful pig thing, a control-freak miserable rabbit, a know it all owl, an orphan tiger, a depressed donkey and the schizophrenic boy who imagines them all. The only normal ones are Kanga and Roo. So my question is: What. The. Hell? Why make such sad characters? Why try and make us feel so sorry for them? I almost cried in both Tigger and Piglets big movies! Can humans not deal with normal characters at a young age? My second question about the now terrifying "Winnie the Pooh" is: why do I like it so much??? My third is: why is he called Pooh?!
Cat xx

2 comments:

frangipani princess said...

:(
That just totally shattered me. I had never, ever thought of the characters like that, let alone thought of Christopher Robin as a scizophrenic who imagined them all. This is my fairytale incident all over again.
so shattered
ahhaahah

x

smorginator said...

yeah I know what you mean. I ♥ winnie the pooh.

my mum bought me two little winnie the pooh books before my exams because they're called "a book for bothersome days" and "a book of happy thoughts". they've got all these uplifting quotes.

One of them says; Learn to love yourself. Christopher Robin says to Pooh Bear "I love you" and Winnie the Pooh replies with "me too" i laugh everytime.

x