Monday, May 25, 2009

And the nice ones lived happily ever after...

I've just been to see the middle school production of "Grimm Tales", adaptions of The Brother's Grimm's fairy tales (some of them anyway). Although I've already heard "Ashputtle", a very much more sinister version of "Cinderella", it never fails to make me shiver to the core.
For those of you who don't know this version, in it, when the evil stepsisters try on the slipper they cut their feet to bits to fit them in it. At the end of the story, two doves poke out the stepsisters eyes. Now, I know they were horrible, but shouldn't Ashputtle rise above their nasty ways instead of setting her pets on them?
Not to mention the fact that the Fairy Godmother in this version is actually Ashputtle's dead mother in tree form. It's spooky. It's frightening. Fairy tales were gory, gory things to begin with.
Cat xx

1 comments:

Lauren said...

oh my buddha! YES! They are very creepy. Personally, I was always extremely freaked out by Hansel and Gretel. And then some author guy, whatshisname made some creepier version of it and our teacher read it in class. :S
hahaha.
anyway, once again, good blogging skills.