Thursday, June 25, 2009

Happy thirtieth issue "Frankie"!

Considering I got this issue in the mail on Monday, I probably should have posted this already, but I haven't and so here I am to tell you all a little something about "Frankie" Issue 30.
The first thing I always check in "Frankie" is the art poster. The artist this issue was Ghost Patrol and the poster was a picture of a "little guy and his mystical creature sharing a milkshake". There's a red pattern behind the two of them, giving an otherwise simple picture some colour. In my opinion, it's one of the nicest posters they've had in a while.
Next I perusal over to "Frank Bits". Some of the highlights this issue included: Angus Stone, Mark Everett of The Eels, Jenny Wilson, some lovely badges and possibly the cutest scarf I have ever seen from Victoria n' Bird. But I'd have to say the real gem in these pages this time were an adorable pair of handmade shoes made from vintage materials by "Dames and Divas. Sigh.
The Photographer Alex Prager was featured and her pictures are serene to the point of unease and also awesome. There's something incredibly eerie about staged shots. "Music Talks" featured PJ Harvey and Peaches, neither of whom I know very well, but I've been meaning to give PJ Harvey a listen for a while now- clearly this was a sign. "Creative People" were "Creatives Outside the City Limits". Gabrielle Miller's shop "The Gigi Bazaar" really caught my eye- definitely worth a read.
The fashion this issue was very pretty but bothered me in the way magazine "winter" fashion always does: they all seem to think that slapping a pair of tights on under a dress makes it a winter outfit. Tights are not that warm.
My favourite articles this issue are "apologetics" by Jana Roose an ex-bully who's ever so sorry and "wasted words" in which Marieke Hardy gets her feminist on and asks why "the great literary drunks are all men".
But the happiest surprise I came upon this issue (except for possibly that adorable scarf) was "Homebodies". Already one of my absolute favourite sections, this issue it featured none other than the ab fab, ever so brill Sarah Blasko!
That's only a tiny fraction of what this issue holds. It's one of the best issues I've read (my favourites were 19 and 29 but this is coming in 3rd or 4th), and you should definitely get your hands on it before it gets cold....not that "Frankie" ever does.
Cat xx

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

oohh, issue 29 was one of my favourites as well. The poster is excellent, it is on my wall now. Do you have a subscription- does it arrive earlier than in stores?