Friday, June 12, 2009

The inner poet in me...

doesn't exist. Really. Poetry is hard! It has to be either funny or meaningful to be good and god knows I can't do funny so that leaves meaningful. Then there's the balance between "Wow, I really get what she's trying to say" and "Wow, not only is that a complete piece of crap, but it's so cheesy that I think I have to go and throw up now. Excuse me." If you're lucky enough to find this balance you then have to make it so it's compressed enough to be poetry, but people can still understand the message. You tend to go for "Oh, I feel so moved by those few but powerful words" not "Oh, does she have that thing where she just spits out random words as they come to her? How sad." Unfortunately, my occasional attempt poetry has no balance, and anybody who reads will be both queasy and under the impression that I'm mentally ill. Ah well...
Cat xx

0 comments: