Friday, August 7, 2009

This week...

I thought I'd give my lovely readers a little peak into what my week has been like:
The Good:
I was walking to my music lesson on Tuesday and it was absolutely beautiful. It was raining quite a bit but I had my favourite, bright orange umbrella so I could observe the rain without getting soaked. In front of me the sky was covered by dark grey clouds, but behind me the sun was out and light was shining onto the grey clouds in this really whimsical way. All the colours of the trees were sharpened and where the sun was hitting them, I could see particular areas had blankets of rain coming down.
Lovely.
In film we watched "Strictly Ballroom" and I thought it was very well made. For those of you that don't know, it's about ballroom dancers (shock), and one particular boy, about eighteen, who has the chance to be a star. However he wants to try out hiss own moves, which is seriously frowned upon and he is told not to by the competition organisers, his teacher, his mother and his dance partner. Enter a dorky but sweet girl who nobody thinks much of and has only been dancing two years (the boy has been dancing for more like 12), who is just the person to show him how great he can be. Love story and dancing ensues.
My algebra test was today. Before you deafen me with your screams of protest at a maths test being listed under "The Good", I'll explain why I think it is completely deserving of a place on this list, for a few reasons. I find algebra very soothing. it's just patterns and rules which you can follow over and over again, being satisfied when you get the result. Also, it's always nice to finish a maths unit and know that you can start afresh next lesson and not have to think about algebra for a while. Lastly, and I must admit, most importantly, is that I'm quite confident that my result is over ninety (I validated all of my answers. Checked, that is). So, nothing but grins!

The Bad:
My humanities map assignment was due today and I basically hadn't started it until the double we were given. Because drawing is far from being something I have even the slightest shred of talent for, when I get an assignment that largely includes it, I tend to freak out, procrastinate and hand in something well below the expected standard. This is not, as you might imagine, because I don't care about school. Quite the opposite. Bad school marks are one of the things that just freak me out. That's why when I think I'm going to fail because I can't draw, I push the assignment way back into a tiny corner on my mind. Not. Very. Smart.



The Ugly:
In a particularly gruesome part of "Walkabout", (a film about two white children deserted in the Australian outback meeting up with, and basically being saved by a young aboriginal man) I had to watch a lot of cows being shot and one particular cow being gutted. Blood and insides everywhere. Ew. That being said, "Walkabout" was amazing.
Cat xx

1 comments:

Lauren said...

haha I lover Strictly Ballroom.
Nice blogging!