Thursday, August 27, 2009

Apologies, "Frankie"...

I'm really sorry I haven't posted for ages. Lately I've just not known what to say. I've also been focusing on the story I'm writing and trying desperately to think of something to write about for my Herald Sun work experience entry. I'm not a very news-ish person, but I guess I should become one. Bottom line though, is that there's no excuse. I am a poor blogger of late. My apologies.

The latest issue of "Frankie" arrived in my mail on Monday. I think it actually comes out either yesterday or today. It's a lovely issue. I haven't read it all yet; I like to draw out the experience for as long as possible, although at the same time I want to read it all at once. Its always tricky when you love something that much. The highlights so far for me have been:

An article/interview on Zooey Deschanel about her new movie "500 Days of Summer". This was great because I love Zooey Deschanel, I love her music duo with M. Ward, She and Him and I am extremely excited for her new film, "(500) Days of Summer". Extremely.

The bathers on pages 70 and 71, "pretty as a picture". Seeing bathers in magazines never fails to get me all excited and tingly for summer. The bathers in "Frankie" are sometimes vintage, often colourful and always pretty. Sadly they also tend to be exxy. My favourite was the hotel bondi blue wrens one-piece. They're $219. Lovely.
"I can't believe it's not meat!", a group of reviews on meat substitute products by Benjamin Law. Just as everything he writes, they're are funny and besides, I'm a sucker for reviews. There's something great about being told what to buy. Benjamin Law is one of my favourite writers in "Frankie", so this was just my thing.
"The Break Up". A group of ex-couples look back on their relationships. I found these stories really sweet, although the breaking up thing was sad. I actually got nostalgic reading them. I have a severe case of empathy. One of the ex-couples were two men, which is great. It's nice when a magazine doesn't just represent the mainstream.
If you want to know more, you'll just have to go out and get the real thing, which I highly recommend!
Cat xx

1 comments:

Lauren said...

I also liked the article about dad humour.
:) But yes, it is great.
Oooh so excited for summer. ;)
Yeah, it was good that they did one of the couples as two men.
XD