Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I was out window shopping today...

which is how any interesting story starts. I was with a friend and we were looking around in a vintage op shop. There were some really awesome pieces that I loved. They were kind of individual, obscure things, and it got me to thinking. For those of us who enjoy unusual clothes, why? Is it because we honestly like them rather that what's commonly on offer? Is it a constant and desperate search for individuality that makes them so appealing? It's understandable, in a society that generalises so much.
That thought got me to a more interesting point. People who like to be alternative like to stand out. They want to be seen and noticed for who they are. Compliments are welcome to them, as to any person. So if they want to stand out and be complimented then they want to be liked. Which means they are seeking approval after all. Perhaps not every one's, just someone who can tell them they look good. I should say us, because I am in no way trying to separate myself from this group.
I don't think we're as different as we often like to think we are. I'm in no way saying that no one is an individual. It's just a speculation upon what it is to be different. Defiant? Brave? A bid for attention? It's definitely not for me to say. But it was a damn cute cardigan!
Cat xx

0 comments: